Resident Recipe : Vanilla and Chocolate Layer Cake
The theme of the senior power inspired the team behind The Innovator to find a resident who would like to share one of his or her favorite recipes. Bruno Le Foll, chef at Les Jardins Millen, assisted by Rosalie Lebel, recreationist at the residence, asked Léopold Lavergne, a 90-year-old resident who bakes regularly, to give us his best recipe! Here is his famous vanilla and chocolate layer cake!
INGREDIENTS (12 servings)
- 4 eggs
- 500 ml (2 cups) sugar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) vanilla extract
- 180 ml (¾ cup) canola oil
- 750 ml (3 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) salt
- 310 ml (1¼ cup) milk
- 1 litre (4 cups) 2% milk
- 10 egg yolks
- 200 g (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 80 g (⅓ cup) cornstarch
- 80 g (⅓ cup) unsalted butter
- 80 g (⅓ cup) black chocolate, chopped
- Vanilla extract to taste
- 250 ml (1 cup) vanilla icing
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Butter two 20-cm (8-inch) springform pans and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, mix the eggs, sugar and vanilla for about 10 minutes. Add the oil in a stream while continuing to mix.
- While mixing at low speed, alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk until the mixture is uniform.
- Divide the mixture between the two cake pans. Cook for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes. Remove the sides of the pans and let cool completely (about 2 hours).
- Cut each cake in half, horizontally.
- For the pastry cream, heat the milk to boiling in a saucepan.
- In a bowl, whip the eggs and sugar. Add the hot milk, cornstarch and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into the saucepan and simmer gently for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the butter and mix well.
- Pour the pastry cream into two bowls and add the black chocolate to one of the bowls. Mix.
- Add vanilla pastry cream or chocolate pastry cream to each layer (alternating).
- Cover the outside of the cake with vanilla icing.
Resident from Les Jardins Millen