General tao’s chicken with maple syrup
General Tao’s Chicken with Maple Syrup
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
For the chicken
- 2 lb. boneless chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
For the sauce
- 60 ml white vinegar
- 125 ml sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 15 ml oyster sauce
- 60 ml water
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
For the stir-fry
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red onion
- 2 zucchini
- 3 green onions, sliced on the diagonal
- Sesame seeds
- Coat the chicken cubes with cornstarch.
- In a skillet, heat the oil over high heat and add the chicken.
- Fry for about 10 minutes, stirring often, or until the chicken is golden on the outside and no longer pink in the middle. Remove the chicken from the heat.
- In a saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, oyster sauce, soy sauce, maple syrup and water. Bring to a boil and reduce for one minute.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in water and stir into the saucepan.
- Cook for about 2 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Cut the peppers and onions into large cubes and slice the zucchini. Stir-fry in a skillet.
- Add the chicken and the sauce. Serve with rice and garnish with the green onions and sesame seeds.